top of page

The History of
Founded in 1957

The church was initially organized as the Gospel Baptist Mission by the late founder and Pastor, Reverend Harvey L. Beasley, who was also the first ordained son of the Isle of Patmos Baptist Church in January 1957 under the leadership of the late Pastor George B. Rodgers.

During the first seven years of the Mission, services were held in the homes of members.   Their labors were soon rewarded as God added to the Mission hence the Mission became the True Gospel Baptist Church residing in our current location at 1106 W Street NW, Washington, DC 20009

In the mid 1970’s Pastor Beasley, the Deacon Board, Trustees and the other
brethren brought together their diverse skills, abilities and expertise in a united effort to build from the ground up the Annex building next door to our sanctuary. The erection of the Annex building allowed the church to conduct the Children’s Sunday School Classes, New Members Classes, Auxiliary Meetings and Church Meetings.  Reverend Beasley served faithfully as Pastor until the Father called him from labor to reward in 1990.

The Official Board organized a search committee to find its next pastor. The search lasted approximately four months and on Saturday, July 25, 1992, Reverend Wade Barnes was voted Pastor of True Gospel Baptist Church.  Pastor Barnes’ installation service was held Sunday, November 1, 1992.  Rev. Barnes retired in March 2013.

Once again, the Official Board organized a search committee to find its next Pastor.  The search lasted approximately 12 months and on Sunday May 11, 2014, Reverend Larry E. Hentz was voted in as the Pastor of True Gospel Baptist Church.  Pastor Hentz was installed as the third Pastor of True Gospel Baptist Church on Sunday, June 29, 2014.

Since Pastor Hentz’s appointment, God has led True Gospel Baptist Church to evangelize and minister to our local community and to the less fortunate in the greater Washington, DC area.  During this time, God has increased church membership, Bible Study attendance, and Sunday School attendance.   God has blessed us to be able to upgrade the exterior landscaping, the lower level fellowship hall, kitchen, all restrooms.  The Pastoral and Deacons offices have also been renovated.

Our history

bottom of page